Sunday, February 08, 2009

100 STRANGERS
- #1. Dawn


100 STRANGERS... the idea is not original, but rather it came from a Photographer named Teppo. Check out his 100 Strangers. Also, check out the 100 Strangers group on Flicker.

The ASSIGNMENT... to take 100 different portraits of different strangers in my everyday life. Teppo started this project because he found it hard to walk up to people he didn't know and ask to take their portrait. For me, that's not a problem. I go up to strangers and film them with a video camera everyday of work.

My personal goal is to learn more about portrait photography. I think I'm great at candid moments. When it comes to directing people - telling them what to do and how to pose - I seem to struggle. After this first photo, I know I have a lot of learning to do.

#1... The first person in this series taught me the simplest lessons. Make sure to write down their name right away. I can't remember whether this ladies name is Dawn, Emily, or something completely different. So, I'm choosing to call her Dawn.

I met Dawn at Blackhawk Church after an evening service. She works as an Event Coordinator for InterVarsity, a student ministry.

I wish I spent a little more time on this shoot. I think I ended it early because I was actually nervous, and couldn't think of any more ideas as to how to pose her. I think for future, I need to say calmer.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool idea. I like how you're using it as a learning exercise. Reminds me of the story about 100 clay pots.

3:22 PM  
Blogger P-Lew Photography said...

100 Clay pots?

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

her name is Emily.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home